Need Help?

Is My UEI the Same as My EIN?

No, your UEI (Unique Entity Identifier) is not the same as your EIN (Employer Identification Number).

  • The UEI is a unique identifier assigned to entities that register in the System for Award Management ( to do business with the U.S. federal government. It’s used across federal agencies to track and manage awards, contracts, and grants.
  • The EIN, on the other hand, is a nine-digit number issued by the IRS to businesses for tax purposes. It’s also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number and is used to identify a business entity for tax reporting and employment tax purposes.

While both are unique identifiers, they serve different purposes: the UEI for federal contracting and grants, and the EIN for tax administration. If you need a UEI, or are unsure if you have one, USBRI can assist with the entire process. We have been helping businesses for over 11 years with registering and renewing SAM Registrations, as well as other Federal Certifications. Call the Help Desk at (888) 646-9998 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm EST to find out more about how USBRI can help you get started with government contracting.