Entities required to have a Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) include any organization, business, non-profit, or individual that intends to do business with the U.S. federal government. This requirement encompasses those:

  • Applying for federal contracts,
  • Receiving federal grants,
  • Receiving federal awards,
  • And conducting business or transactions that involve federal funding.

Specifically, if you are involved in any of the following activities, you need a UEI:

  1. Federal Contracting: Entities seeking to bid on federal government contracts must have a UEI for identification in the System for Award Management (SAM.gov).
  2. Federal Grants and Awards: Organizations applying for federal grants or looking to receive federal awards must register in SAM.gov and obtain a UEI.
  3. Subcontractors and Subgrantees: In some cases, subcontractors and subgrantees working on federal contracts or grants may also be required to obtain a UEI for transparency and reporting purposes.
  4. Other Federal Financial Transactions: Entities involved in other types of financial transactions with the federal government, such as loans and intergovernmental agreements, may also need a UEI.

If you need a UEI, or are unsure if you have one, USBRI can assist with the entire process. We have been helping businesses for over 11 years with registering and renewing SAM Registrations, as well as other Federal Certifications. Call the Help Desk at (888) 646-9998 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm EST to find out more about how USBRI can help you get started with government contracting.