No, a UEI (Unique Entity Identifier) is not the same as a DUNS number (Data Universal Numbering System). While both serve as unique identifiers for entities, they are issued by different organizations for different purposes:

  • DUNS Number: Issued by Dun & Bradstreet, a DUNS number was previously required for businesses to register in the System for Award Management ( and to bid on federal contracts or grants. It has been used globally as a standard business identifier. However, it is no longer required for federal grants or contracting.
  • UEI: As of April 2022, the General Services Administration (GSA) started issuing the UEI directly through, replacing the DUNS number as the official identifier for entities registering to do business with the federal government. The UEI is now used for all federal contracts, grants, and awards, streamlining the process by eliminating the need for a third-party identifier.

If you need a UEI, or are unsure if you have one, USBRI can assist with the entire process. We have been helping businesses for over 11 years with registering and renewing SAM Registrations, as well as other Federal Certifications. Call the Help Desk at (888) 646-9998 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm EST to find out more about how USBRI can help you get started with government contracting.